Software Design Engineer
McKean Defense is a Naval Life Cycle Management, Engineering, Enterprise Transformation and Program Management business headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. McKean’s engineers, developers, technical staff, programmers, analysts, and program managers identify and deploy new shipboard technologies, integrate information technology across shipboard platforms, and develop strategies to support the Warfighter. McKean’s employees create strategic solutions to help customers reach new levels of mission support and transform their organizations. McKean Defense is employee owned, and values the life experiences of potential candidates, including those who have served our Military. Currently, 38% of McKean’s employee owner workforce are veterans.
McKean's support to the US Navy at our Philadelphia site encompasses a variety of Hull, Mechanical, and Electrical programs for new development and in-service engineering. This position supports directly the Machinery Control Systems for several ship classes of the Navy. The Navy requires support with design, development, modeling, simulation, programming, and test of various electro-mechanical systems for ship control systems. This position will focus on using software tools for modeling of new systems and duplication of existing systems for issue identification and resolution, upgrade feasibility and proof-of-concept, and new design analysis. This role will provide support including:
- Support to Navy surface ship programs for in-service engineering of Machinery Control Systems
- Maintaining complex models of control and monitoring systems for in-service and new development projects
- Updating and producing documentation for models, designs, and tests
CompTIA Security+ Certification is a plus
Windows or Linux OS Certification(s) is a plus
- Ten or more years of professional experience in systems, electrical, computer, electronics engineering
- Two or more years as a lead engineer, managing projects, programs, or teams
- Two or more years of professional experience using MATLAB and Simulink for modeling, testing, and designing electrical and mechanical systems
- Two or more years of professional experience using LABVIEW for prototype development and test
- One or more years of professional experience designing custom circuit boards for integrated systems applications
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering, or a Cyber Security related degree from an accredited college or university
Candidates must have a DoD Secret clearance or be able to obtain one.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
McKean Defense is an E-Verify company.
Job Status: Full Time